AVRO Gumshoe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you have?

Go down

What do you have? Empty What do you have?

Post by Ed Parpatt Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:27 pm

What do you have in your collection of Avro material?  I've picked up a few books over the years, as well as a couple of DVDs.  Most of the video material is the same as what is available online in places such as youtube.  Historical videos such as Avro progress updates and promotional films.

As far as written materials, I have a few books...whenever something interesting popped up on Amazon or eBay, I was interested.

-THE AVRO CANADA C102 JETLINER  - by Jim Floyd 1985
    filled with lots of insight into the building of the airliner, the withdrawal of TCA backing, and how the Americans (both      civil and airforce) wanted the jet that Avro wasn't allowed to build.

-Cold War Tech War  The Politics of America's Air Defense  - by Randall Whitcomb  2008
    Technical and economic aspects of Avro Canada

-AvroNEWS   - The 12 page Avro newspaper featuring "ARROW ROLLS OUT TODAY" on the cover.  Oct. 4, 1957, Vol 3, No. 16  (great condition, likely a reprint)

-Canadian Aviation and the Avro Arrow   - by Fred Smye  1985
    Fred Smye was the former President and General Manager of Avro, so he has plenty of insights into the company.

-Storms of Controversy  The Secret Avro Arrow Files Revealed   - by Palmiro Campagna  1992

-FALL OF AN ARROW   - by Murray Pedon  1978

-THE AVRO ARROW STORY  The Revolutionary Airplane and its Courageous Test Pilots   - By Bill Zuk  2004

-THE ARROW Scrapbook   - by Peter Zuurig  1999

-THE ARROW   AVRO CF105 Mk. 1  PILOT'S OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS AND RCAF TESTING/BASING PLANS   - by Lieutenant Colonal T.F.J. Leversedge  1999

-AVRO ARROW   - The Arrowheads  1980

-ARROW  FIRST FLIGHT MARCH 25, 1958  limited edition 45th anniversary edition by Peter Zuuring  2002 Arrow Alliance Press

-IROQUOIS ROLLOUT  July 22 1957  45 year Memorial Photo Album   - by Peter Zuuring  2002 Alliance Press I should add...it really IS a photo album...lots and lots of engine pictures.

Ed Parpatt

Back to top Go down

What do you have? Empty Re: What do you have?

Post by Ed Parpatt Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:05 am

No one has anything to add? Sad
Well, I have one more. I just finished reading "AVRO The History Of An Aircraft Company.

Yes, this is the British Avro, and what a fascinating story. They were the very first company in the world to be incorporated as an airplane manufacturer and the book goes in great depth of A.V. Roe's early interest in flight and building a plane, the failures and successes, involvement in multiple wars, and a well described description of the evolution of aircraft into the modern, complex machines being built before Avro was absorbed by Hawker Siddeley Aviation.

The author, Harry Holmes, worked for Avro in marketing and public relations, and had access to a great many photos and information that would be hard for an outsider to find. My copy was an original from 1995 but I understand the newer editions have some additional updates. There were a couple of pages dealing with Avro Canada, mainly the Jetliner and Arrow (with some minor errors) but mostly it is about the parent company. Well worth reading.

Ed Parpatt

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum